Electrical Mechanical Plumbing Department Manager
Do you want to grow your career and be part of the dynamic growth of a Top 20 Architecture/Engineering firm (by Building Design + Construction)? This firm has been named to the prestigious Architect 50 by Architect magazine for the past four consecutive years.
The firm process advances communities through discovery and design. They believe ideas have the power to transform. Through the process of studied investigation and dialogue, they develop an understanding of their clients, their priorities, and aspirations. They couple this understanding with a response to issues such as site and program, project schedule and budget, environmental sustainability, architectural image, and appropriateness to the larger physical context. Through this process, they develop innovative design solutions that capture the unique personality and identity of each project we undertake.
This firm fosters a culture that supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals. With an established reputation for design excellence, they have been honored to receive more than 50 AIA Design Awards in the last decade.
Full-time position located in Macon, Georgia, now hiring.
Department Head will be responsible for overall technical quality within their department and support the development of design discipline staffing to meet the needs of the firm in terms of numbers, experience, and professional qualifications.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Department Director duties as assigned.
- Facilitate communication of the impact of design/scope decisions on the department level of effort, project schedule, construction cost and quality of the final product. Review performance, status, budgets, and organization of the project documents. Monitor construction activities and provide lessons learned.
- Assure that the department standards are being utilized efficiently. Facilitate the improvement of the standards and include training in the departmental guidance. Help introduce new employees to the standards.
- Review performance, status, budgets, and organization of the project documents.
- Monitor construction activities and provide lessons learned.
- Monitor professional development of staff members to assure that individuals are being technically challenged in a productive manner and maintain their technical abilities.
- Encourage the use of software tools to enhance the efficiency of team members.
- Evaluate alternative tools as they become available. Provide opportunities for training as required. Ensure that staff has the right computing equipment for their position and coordinate needs with the IT department.
- Encourage mentoring within the department and serve as an example for future leaders. Identify roles for members of the department to aid in their professional growth.
- Encourage “lessons learned” and internal communication to help prevent recurring issues. Discuss reviews with designers and reviewers to identify quality trends.
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Department Director, Operations Directors, Technical Director and Senior Management.
- Assist in marketing and business development activities
- Assist in preparing proposals and participating in contract negotiations
- Assign department staff to project teams
- Participate in staff annual reviews
- Ability to travel is required
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct reviews of the project discipline technical decisions
- Monitor department workload to maintain staff utilization rates
- Review discipline fee and budget proposals on individual projects
- Monitor discipline budget and schedule performance on individual projects
- Assist MP’s and PM’s in assigning suitable or appropriately skilled staff to project teams
- Participate in design reviews of projects
- Participate in technical reviews of projects
- Participate in QA/QC and gray team project reviews and briefings
- BS in engineering or BA in architecture -or-
- Post-graduate degree in architecture, engineering, engineering technology or engineering management
Licenses, Certifications and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer or Registered Architect in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCARB or NCEES certification to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation is preferred
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process.
A Department Head should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Department Head should typically have 15 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an architectural firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm.
Experience as an Architect, Engineer, or Project Manager in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Possess strong verbal communication skills, being comfortable with and able to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Demonstrated recognized leadership within the firm and/or outside the firm
- Possess team leadership capabilities and abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of firm-wide design goals and abilities to execute them on projects that they have participated
- 10 days annual paid vacation (cumulative to 160 hours). Accrual begins with 1st paycheck. Pro-rated for eligible employees whose regular work hours are less than 40 hours per week.
- 10 days annual sick leave (noncumulative). Accrual begins with 1st paycheck. Pro-rated for eligible employees whose regular work hours are less than 40 hours per week.
- 7 paid holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Begins 1st holiday incurred after date of employment. Pro-rated for eligible employees whose regular work hours are less than 40 hours per week.
- Optima Health Plan: (Client pays the employee premium for Optima HDHP/HMO Network). Employee has the option to choose between Optima HDHP/HMO Network, and Optima HDHP/PPO Network. Effective 1st of the month following 28 days of employment. Current rates are effective through March 31, 2015.
- Life Insurance – 1.5 times your basic annual earnings as of January 1st each year. Maximum of $100,000 coverage – company paid. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- AD&D (Accidental Death & Dismemberment): 1.5 times your basic annual earnings as of January 1st each year. Maximum of $100,000 coverage – company paid. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- Voluntary life insurance and AD&D – supplemental life and AD&D insurance available (medical underwriting may apply). Employee responsible for cost. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- Short Term Disability Insurance: 90 days at 60% of salary with $1500 weekly maximum benefit. (Maternity included). Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: To age 65 – “Own Occupation” 60% of salary with $5,000 monthly maximum benefit. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment
- 401(K) Defined contribution retirement plan. Eligibility is immediate. Automatic enrollment at 3% with option to increase or decrease contribution. Client will make a contribution match up to $.33 per $1.00 up to 6% of compensation on a pay period basis. The discretionary matching contributions are based exclusively on a pay period basis; no annual true-up occurs.
- Cafeteria Plan.
- Conversion of health insurance premiums to pre-tax dollars. (enrollment immediate – no waiting period)
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical and Childcare), effective 1st of the month following 28 days of employment.
1. Cancer Protection Plan
2. Hospital Protection Plan
3. Hospital ICU Plan
4. Personal Accident Expense Plan
5. Specified Event Plan
Client contributes a portion of the individual (employee) premium of Cancer and Hospital ICU Plan. The employee portion of the Hospital Protection Plan, Hospital ICU Plan, Accident Plan and Specified Event Plan premiums are payroll deducted and convert to pretax dollars. The employee portion of the personal Cancer Protection Plan premium (purchased after March 31, 2001) is payroll deducted and also converts to pretax dollars. Open enrollment is once a year on April 1st.
- Direct Deposit. No eligibility requirements.
- Pre-Paid Legal Service: Employee cost is $18.00 per month. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- Metlife Dental: High and Low Option coverage to choose from. Employee cost varies depending on the plan chosen. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.
- Long Term Care Insurance: Long Term Care Facility/Assisted Living Facility/Professional Home Care. Monthly benefit amounts from $3000-$6000, benefit duration (3, 4 or 6 years). Guarantee Issue for new employee applications received within 30 days of employment date (provided eligibility requirements are met). Spouses & other eligible family members are subject to medical underwriting. Inflation Protection option available. Effective 1st of month after completing 28 days of employment.